The Oracle BI Cloud Service provides the possibility to upload metadata models (via lift & shift) created with the OBIEE Admin Tool (rpd file), but also comes with a new web modeler to create metadata models directly within the web UI. These web model files are not compatible with the rpd file and are stored internally as json files. The BICS instance is also limited to an either or approach. Once, a rpd is uploaded as a model e.g. containing the data source connections, the web modeler can not be used anymore.
Thus, the following article lists the differences between the metadata model created within the rpd and the web modeler:
· Authorization Blocks for populating variables are not available with web modeler
· The web modeler only supports a single Physical Table /View for a logical table (Fact or Dimension) since no LTS (Logical Table Sources) are available.
· Since there is no concept for LTS, the Aggregate navigation configuration is not possible within web modeler to make use of aggregated tables which contain fewer records for increasing performance
· after Renaming of Presentation Tables/Columns Aliases are set within rpd, but not in web modeler, hence a Report referencing the column will be invalid
· No renaming wizard in web modeler to quickly change the physical table names into meaningful business names.
· Star schema (ER Diagrams) are not shown when using the web modeler and only within the OBIEE Admin Tool
· Cross Subject area Analysis does only seem to work with rpd lift and shift. When using web modeler the option of “adding other Subject areas” is always greyed out. This influences the modelling of the Models, since it is possible to create a united Model having all required tables. However, this “united” model maybe a duplicate and must be created from scratch again.
Obviously, the above list is non exhaustive and should only provide a first level information, since any BICS instance is limited to only one approach.